Algebra level 1
For the whole of term 3 we will be studying towards the external algebra paper.
The exam is on the 19th of September
Apply algebraic procedures in solving problems
Apply algebraic procedures involves:
• selecting and using procedures in solving problems
• demonstrating knowledge of algebraic concepts and terms
• communicating solutions using appropriate mathematical symbols.
Relational thinking involves one or more of:
• selecting and carrying out a logical sequence of steps
• connecting different concepts and representations
• demonstrating understanding of concepts
• forming and using a model;
and also relating findings to a context, or communicating thinking using appropriate mathematical statements.
Extended abstract thinking involves one or more of:
• devising a strategy to investigate or solve a problem
• identifying relevant concepts in context
• developing a chain of logical reasoning, or proof
• forming a generalisation;
Achievement: Apply algebraic procedures in solving problems.
Achievement with Merit: Apply algebraic procedures, using relational thinking, in solving problems.
Achievement with Excellence: Apply algebraic procedures, using extended abstract thinking, in solving problems.