Week 1 Launch - Wednesday 4 February
Our Goals for these two days...
- to meet each other - students / HBLAs/ 10-13 LAs connected to community and Parent support,
- to set up the community space (inside and out) and identify projects for developing this space to be the best fit for us as learners, to learn more about our environment - Dovedale site and Dovedale Community,
- to choose an HBLA and set up an IEM time over week 2,
- to build an better understanding of our community language,
- to set up norms for working together successfully as a learning community
Wednesday 4th Feb9am - Mihi Mihi by Mel (images) and introduction of our team9:10am - Mel to go over our plan for the next two days - go to Community Page for this9:30am - Icebreaker Purpose to build connections across student body --Suggestions - 6x activities that rotate every 10mins, Game of have you eva, groups mix every rotation - colour coded dots, (invite parents to be part of this and support crew for the six teams)10:30am - Morning tea - baking anybody, (get plenty of milk for visitors over these two days)11:00am - Design the SpaceIn groups, draw our learning space (inside, outside), what will we do in the space, present back to the large group ProcessPossible Process - Activity Called 9 corners -9 key questions for groups to contribute to on large sheets of paper
- How do you learn best (i.e. do you like a quiet space, a chatty space, on the floor, at a desk, inside, outside, dark, light, warm, cool, at home, online, etc etc)
- How do you like to be treated as a learner (by your peers, by LAs, by visitors, by parents visiting), what are some ground rules for our community?
- What should our outside environment look like?
- What are your passions / strengths? (I love working with horses, I love sports, I'm great at coding, I'm an awesome problem solver, I'm a great listener, ... )
- What are some concerns / challenges you are facing that are important to raise? (our space, our location, transport, friendships, maths, writing, homebase selection, etc etc)
- What should our main part of our learning community look like?
- What should our smaller learning community look like (consider all three rooms)
- What do we mean by these terms? Add your ideas on a post it note - Passions / Interests / Needs? - Self directed learning - IEMs / IEPs / 1-1s - Community LAs
- Curriculum Wheel - favourite learning area - blue dots, least favourite - yellow dots Rotate groups around using bell / music to indicate time frame...
12:00pm - lunch1:00pm - Roll Call (temp HB?)1:10pm - Synthesis of idea - what are the 5 key ideas that have emerged from these posters? Write on big paper these ideas - you choose which group you want to go to ...1:40pm - On a display wall - the poster questions and each groups 5 recommendations.2:00pm - Outdoor Activity (inside activity back up) - challenged based collaboration activities... (ABL)2:40pm - Student reflection (perhaps on handout of our learning outcomes today...) 3:00pm - end of day