Space - HB Piwakawaka Inquiry, Term 3 2020
This term we are beginning by looking at space. We will complete a student led inquiry following a basic inquiry process. Details will be added as we confirm the direction the inquiry takes, as led by the HB Piwakawaka learners.
After completing a brainstorm with every learner in the HB to assess what they knew and what they wanted to find out, we have gone ahead and planned an inquiry into Space.
We will be looking at:
- Earth rotation and revolution, orbit dynamics, introduce the sun, day/night, seasons
- Orbit dynamics, gravity, earth/moon/sun orbits,
- The moon: what is the moon? Phases, tides, how many moons are there (on earth and other planets).
- Astronauts and moon landing. Who’s been to space? Rocket ships - how to launch? Who can go into space - can birds? How long does it take to get there? The International Space Stations.
- Museum Trip - Our Moon, then, now and beyond.
- Space School - astronauts and space travel.
- Atmosphere and the solar system - the inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars): what are they made out of? Where did they come from? What do they do? How far away are they? Do all planets have moons?).
Week 5 (through Literacy):
- The outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune): what are they made out of? Where did they come from? What do they do? How far away are they? Do all planets have moons?).
Week 6 (through Literacy):
- Create a solar system facts bank using Sketchers School and Chatter Pix.
Week 7 (through literacy):
- Other bodies in space: the sun and other stars, constellations, meteoroids, meteors, meteorites, asteroids, comets, dwarf planets, Asteroid Belt, Kuiper Belt, Oort cloud, galaxies, the milky way, black holes.
Week 8 (through literacy):
- Planet Earth, leading in to the next inquiry - nature/planting.
Further detailed planning information is available.