Natural disasters: causes, effects and responses
In this five week course, we travel the globe beginning our study at the centre of the Earth and continuing to the volcanic shores of Taupo and the Bay of Naples. We then shift our sights to the ocean and the atmosphere to understand how tropical cyclones are formed and responded to in the Pacific region. The final destination is your choice as you select a past or more recent natural disaster to investigate. You'll examine the science behind your chosen event as well as the effects it has on people and places.
The skills you have asked to focus on this term are:
-researching (so you will undertake an inquiry)
-oral presentation skills (so you will present your inquiry as a slide show)
-exam skills and strategies (so we will practise note taking, speed writing and sketching with an end of course test)
1. You will need an exercise book or device for taking notes.
2. A device will be helpful for internet research and accessing the google classroom
Curriculum Achievement Objectives
1) Understand that events have causes and effects (NZC:L4 SocStud)
2) Planet Earth and Beyond, investigate the composition, structure, and features of the geosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere (NZC: L5 Sci)
3) Speaking, Writing and Presenting Skills (NZC: L5 Eng)