Maths Shape Geometry 2018
In weeks 3 and 4 of term 1, HB Tuatara 2018 will explore 2D shapes and positional language.
Working in whole HB groups and small groups of mixed ability the children will work through activities that enable them to explore 2D and 3D shapes/objects:
- Students will be able to name 2D and 3D shapes: triangle, square, oblong (non-square rectangle), circle, oval, pentagon (5 sides), hexagon (6 sides), diamond, box/cube, cylinder, sphere.
- Students will be able to classify 2D and 3D shapes and objects by shape attributes using words such as curved/straight, smooth/rough, flat/bumpy, thick/thin, bottom/top, edge/face/side/corner, colour names.
- Students will begin to describe 2D and 3D shapes by naming number of corners and sides.
Working in small groups of mixed ability the children will work through activities that enable them to explore objects in space:
- Students will be able to describe the position of an object using basic positional language such as on, over, forwards, sideways, above, next to, near, far, behind, under, beside, after, inside, outside etc
- Students will be able to give directions using basic positional language to move an object or a person.